SD-WAN allows organizations to optimize connections between applications and users across all branch sites. These solutions improve network performance and user experience by utilizing a centralized control to direct traffic across the WAN. Unlike traditional WANs, SD-WAN can help you maximize the benefit of your hybrid or cloud environment. This model supports applications hosted in on-prem data centers, public and private clouds, and SaaS services – with no traffic backhauling required.
There are many benefits of SD-WAN that can enhance an organization with their digital transformation when configured correctly.
- Centralized management and enhanced visibility ensures organizations with multiple branches are able to connect to critical applications in a unified and streamlined manner.
- Low-cost local internet access, direct cloud access, and minimized traffic over the WAN backbone significantly reduces operating costs.
- Improves flexibility by allowing access to multi-cloud services without the need for expensive hardware.
- Increases capacity bandwidth and availability of multiple connection types.
- Direct cloud access at branch sites eliminates the need to backhaul traffic to the datacenter and improves application performance.
- Identifies and prioritizes business critical traffic and real-time services to steer it over the most efficient route.
SD-WAN vs. MPLS