Why Virtualized Desktops?
Virtualization is beneficial for organizations because it can address a broad range of needs. In the wake of COVID-19, virtual desktops and environments are crucial for business continuity and enabling remote work. But benefits extend far beyond remote access:
- Security and regulation: For industries like financial services, healthcare, and government, security parameters are essential – regardless of location.
- Flexible workforces: Virtual desktops are accessible by any worker from any device, making them an ideal choice for companies that hire short-term/contract-based employees and those with a BYOD policy or highly mobile workforce.
- Specialty environments: Control the needs of any specialty environment for design and engineering, legacy apps, software dev tests, and more.
AVD: Microsoft’s Virtualization Service Delivers Compelling Value
It’s important to keep in mind that not all virtual desktops are created equal. In this case, Microsoft’s Azure Virtual Desktop (AVD) is a stellar choice for its functionality and compelling value. AVD allows for an entire environment to be managed and maintained in a single pane of glass, allowing for the best user experience while maintaining security and proper management.
Additional benefits of Microsoft’s virtualization service include:
- Connect to your virtual environment from any device through the platform of your choice like Windows, MacOS, iOS, HTMLS, and Android, with Linux coming soon.
- Windows experience that performs similarly to a ‘regular’ desktop.
- Dynamic adaptation of bandwidth utilization with the ability to manage protocols.
- Containerized user profiles that provide faster VHD load times due to FSLogix.
- Uncompromised performance of M365 applications including email, calendar, outlook, and more.
- Enhancements to Teams including multimedia redirection capability and high performance/low latency audio and video calling.
Enhanced Security with Simplified Configuration
Now more than ever, security is a top priority. With AVD, you can easily configure security services like multi-factor authentication and role-based access control through Azure AD. You also get the added benefit of a reduced attack surface; reverse connect technology eliminates the need for open firewall points to your VMs.
Efficient and Simplified Management
With AVD, your users get the desktop and application experience they are familiar with while you get the tools you need to simply and efficiently manage your environment. You have the ability to isolate your users in both single and multi-sessions, allowing multiple users to log into a single VM and maximize resources. Multi-session has been one of the most impactful features of AVD. Currently the only way to accomplish multi-session in remote desktop or VDI environments is via Windows Server. Multi-session provides the ability to grow and shrink the platform via VMscale sets to quickly accommodate growing demand or save money when the session is idle.
Not only that, but you get disaster recovery, updated tools, and troubleshooting using an advanced diagnostic third-party service. All of this is backed by the reliability, performance, and support that Microsoft is known for.
Be sure to watch the webinar recording to learn about recommended setups for hybrid environments and other specific situations, as well as additional economic benefits.